ABOUT THE FERN & THISTLEThe Fern & Thistle is the magnificent villa built by Peter McSkimming in 1914 and now lovingly restored to its former glory. Named after his wife’s home town in Scotland, Lesmahagow sits on 6,000m2 of private landscaped gardens and surveys the local surrounds of historic Benhar, which the McSkimming’s built as NZ’s first feudal town in the late 1800's. Reopened to the public as luxury accommodation in 2020, the property is now equipped with many modern conveniences such as central heating, a commercial kitchen, superior WIFI, cafe quality coffee and a fresh water hot pool to relax in after a day exploring the Clutha area. For those looking to escape from the world or host a special event, the grounds provide a perfect back drop for events such as weddings, functions, meditation and ample photo opportunities. With room rates starting at just $125 a night including a splendid continental breakfast, the Fern & Thistle provides a boutique experience at a competitive price.
Property Name: The Fern & Thistle
Address 1: 146 Benhar Road
City : Benhar - Clutha
Postal Code : 9272
Contact Name: Matt Brooking
- Laundry service
Check-In / Check-Out Policies
This property has the following check-in and check-out times and policies.
Check-In: 3:00 PM
Check-Out: 10:00 AM
Late Check-Out Hour: 11:00 AM
Late Check-out Fees: $ 0.00
Late check out (after 10:00 AM and before 11:00 AM) may result in a fee.
Terms and Conditions
Your reservation is guaranteed until the day of arrival. After that time, it will no longer be guaranteed and the room may be reassigned. We will send you a cancellation confirmation via email immediately after cancelling your booking.
- Our room rates are always awesome, but they are subject to seasonal change
- All rooms are GST inclusive and an invoice can be provided to you upon request
- Group trips are fun! When booking, keep maximum occupancy rules in mind- three people max for rooms when advance notice is provided (Except O'Malley Suite). Got babies? We’ve got pack-and-play cots available upon request, subject to availability. Extra adults beyond 2 are $40p/p and children are $25p/p. Children under 3 are FREE.
You can check-in any time from 3PM by local time. A room front key will be made available to you upon arrival. Arrangements for checking-out will be made at the same time. The balance of the room tariff be be due upon check out. The cost of any keys needing replacement will be charged at $10. During the check-in process, we will do our best to provide you with any information which may be required during your stay such as the location of near-by shops, good places where you can eat, sights you may like to see etc. Always ask us for anything that would make your stay more enjoyable and convenient. Check-out any time up until 10AM by local time. Later check-out times may be requested although we may not always be able to accommodate late changes and will depend on availability and on how busy we are.
At check-out time please leave key in the room or hand back to your host. Please note that a more detailed inspection of the room/apartment is usually made after the check-out time and we reserve the right to make charges for any damages or breakages found before the room/apartment is occupied again.
Please be aware that bed linen and towels should be placed in your room or assigned bathroom. The bed linen, robes and towels are NOT gifts and should remain in the room.
Please carefully read our cancellation policy.
- If the guest cancels more than 2 days in advance, the total amount of the reservation will be refunded.
- If the guest cancels less than 2 days in advance, a 30% penalty MAY be charged of the first nights tariff at the discretion of management.
- If the guest arrives and decides to leave early, the nights not spent 24 hours after the cancellation occurs are refunded.
- In case of a “no-show”, the first night is non- refundable.
In our entire short-stay apartments and rooms smoking is not allowed. Please note that we comply with the local health and safety guidelines about smoking in public places. Please Note: Immediate termination of the rental agreement is possible if:
- More guests stay in the property than agreed
- Excessive noise is made in the evening hours or at night (After 11pm)
- Sub-letting the property you have rented (or giving it to other people). The number of people residing in the room/apartment should be the same as confirmed in the booking. Accommodation for additional guests may be requested
A $25-$40 charge for each additional guest per night will be charged. We reserve the right to cancel any reservation, without refund, if an unconfirmed number of people stay overnight in the apartment
- The Fern & Thistle only allows pets by arrangement. The owner will be liable for any damages caused by their pet to the room or apartment. A pet bond of $50 may be requested at our discretion.
- All our guests are asked to respect the property and privacy of the neighbors and to not make any excessive noise between the hours of 23:00 and 07:00.
- The Fern & Thistle is not responsible for lost or forgotten personal things at the premises, however if found these belongings can be posted to you at your expense.
During your stay, the apartment and all equipment and furniture should be treated with care and kept in order. Immediate notification to Fern & Thistle staff will be expected of any damages or breakages in the apartment. You (The Tenant) is financially responsible for any damage to the room or apartment. This includes losses caused by you (The Tenant) or a third party negligent actions and behavior. A summary check will be made of the apartment check-out time. However, a more detailed review of the condition of the apartment and all equipment and facilities will be made soon after check-out and before another guest occupies the apartment. The Tenant is responsible for any damages or breakages found that are over and above normal wear and tear and usage. In this case, a detailed statement of damage along with an invoice for the repair or replacement cost will be sent by email immediately. Please note, immediate notification after check-out of any damages to, breakages in or issues with the apartment is expected.