The Bowery marked the eastern border of
the slum of "Five Points" - popularized in the movie Gangs of New
York. The Bowery then became the turf of one of America's earliest street
gangs, the native Bowery Boys.
At The Bowery House, we have decided to preserve and restore every detail of the remarkable 1940’s semi-private cabin craftsmanship and in turn provide unique, authentic and historic accommodations to travelers from around the world. Part museum and part hostel, we hope you enjoy not only the neighborhood but also the living history that is The Bowery House.
In the 1940s through the 1990s, the Bowery was New York City's "Skid Row," notable for "Bowery Bums" - a remarkable feat considering its prime location and beautiful roster of architecture.
Our loft-style property, 220 Bowery, originally opened as The Prince Hotel in 1927. In the 1940's the hotel was reconfigured to serve as the temporary lodging for soldiers returning home from World War II. All floors of The Prince Hotel were rebuilt with semi-private single room cabins that were just large enough for a bed and storage of essential items.
There is an large marble staircase that leads to our lobby, if you need assistance with your luggage please let our front desk know. All rooms have shared restrooms and historic lattice work ceilings.
Property Name: The Bowery House
Address 1: 220 bowery
City : new york - New York
Postal Code : 10012
Contact Name: Reservations
- Baggage storage
- Concierge desk
- ear plugs
Check-In / Check-Out Policies
This property has the following check-in and check-out times and policies.
Check-In: 3:00 PM
Check-Out: 11:00 AM
Late Check-Out Hour: 2:00 PM
Late Check-out Fees: $ 25.00
Late check out (after 11:00 AM and before 2:00 PM) may result in a fee.
Property and Cancellation Policies :
Partial Charge - First Night Stay - If cancelled within 2 days of arrival
Terms and Conditions
- Checkout is 11AM. Failure to check out at this time may result in late check out fees amounting to one night's charge.
- If you plan to check out prior to your originally scheduled departure date, must inform the Front Desk by 11AM, one day before your scheduled checkout time.
- Room cleaning and linens change will be provided every fourth day or upon request.
- Non-Smoking Hostel, Please use rooftop garden for smoking
- The Bowery House is a private hostel and outside guests are not permitted on the premises
- Please be respectful of other guests
- No one under the age of 21 is permitted to stay at the hostel.
- Please no music in the cabins
- Please take all phone calls in common areas
- Outside food in common areas only please
- Please leave room keys at the front desk
- $20 charge for lost keys
- You agree to vacate the room on the date noted above unless previous arrangements are made with management. Your stay cannot exceed 28 days. You agree to be personally liable in the event that the indicated person, company or association fails to pay for any part of the full amount of these charges.
- Please use the dedicated male and female bathrooms.
- This property is privately owned and the management reserves the right to refuse service to anyone. We will not be responsible for accidents or injury to guests or for loss of money, jewels, or valuables of any kind.
- Under New York State Law, we are required to notify guests that the hotel will seek credit card/debit card approval for anticipated spending. if a refund is owned, debit cards can take up to 30 days for your banks to return the authorization back to your account.
- We are here to make your stay as pleasant as possible. Please don't hesitate to talk to the Manager, Jarrold, with any questions or concerns.