The delightful open air restaurant offers a panorama of the river from the Bridge to the sun rising behind San Gil. Enjoy free coffee and tea in the early morning with other world travellers. Tortugal is one of the only natural places to swim in the river and you can borrow a kayak and go for an early morning adventure along the river. When you return you will be hungry so be sure to enjoy the very nice breakfast included in your stay.
Rooms are primarily constructed of native woods and thatch with beautifully finished interior spaces. A variety of building selections can accomodate from one to nine guests with shared and full bathrooms, some with tubs. Things to do include sunbathing on a conveniently placed floating platform in the river. Or, you can follow an elevated walkway through mangle and down a gravel road through a hardwood and cacao plantation and walk to town or Castillo San Felipe. Selecting a great book from our library and just kicking back on the wonderful sun terrace isn't a bad idea either. Finca Paraiso is just a short mini bus ride away. Livingston is a day trip away, just ask at the front desk and they will reserve a ride for you the next day (or the same day if you ask before 9).
Address 1: on the Shore of the Rio Dulce between Castillo San Felipe and the Bridge
Address 2 : Department of Izabal
City : Rio Dulce - Izabal
Postal Code : Coordinates 15º 38.988´ N 90.0 00000
Contact Name : Daphne
Phone : 502 5306 6432 or 7742 8847
Email : email@example.com
- Swimming in the river
- Floating lounge Platform in the River
- Lounging and Sunning Areas
- Dog to pet
- Free Kayaks
- assistance with reservations to go to Livingston
- Walk to town
- a great
- friendly place
- free wi fi
- laundry service
- private bathrooms
- front desk assistance day and night
- EcoFilters throughout property
- Housekeeping will not enter room unless requested
- daily housekeeping available leave key at front desk and specify service i.e.
- just towels
- make up bed
- change linens
- breakfast included
- fiberoptic wifi throughout
Check-In / Check-Out Policies
This property has the following check-in and check-out times and policies.
Check-In : 03:00 PM
Check-Out : 12:00 PM
Property and Cancellation Policies :
Terms and Conditions
- prices quoted are best available.
- 22% tax will be added.
- payment in full is due at check out in cash or by credit/debit card.
- additional charges apply for children or extra persons.
- stated room occupancy cannot be exceeded.
- elevations at Tortugal vary from river elevation to 15 feet.
- walkways and handrails are not secure for persons with mobility issues or children.
- Tortugal is constructed of native materials
- for this reason, absolutely no cooking or smoking can be permitted in the rooms
- housekeeping service is provided daily upon request. Please leave the room key at the front desk and request whatever service you would like i.e., towels, make up bed.
- linens are changed every third day.
- Room are not entered unless guest leaves key at front desk and invites housekeeping service.
- assistance is available at reception day and night.
- all rooms with the exception of El Ranchito have private bathrooms, some rooms have bath tubs.
- do not bring your own food or drink into Tortugal
- no charge for use of the kayak but take care of it! Be sure to tie up both ends so the points will not be damaged!
- do not go out in the middle of the river, stick close to shore.
- kayak only in the early mornings as winds come up and the kayak could be swamped.
- leaving Tortugal is simple as taking our water taxi (extra charge if not during service times)or by walking out using our trails.
- free water taxi service to Fronteras is available in front of the restaurant at approximately 6:45 am, 2pm, 3 pm, 5 pm and 9 pm
- wait in the restaurant where you can see the boat. When you see the driver approaching the boat let him know you would like a ride.
- Private parking is available just before the Bridge on the El Relleno (East)side. Follow the gravel road to the red oxidized gate. Let the attendant know you are a guest of Tortugal. Call us from the dock. 5306 6432 or 7742 8847
- If travelling by bus, in Fronteras, Rio Dulce (the West side of the Bridge)follow the small road to the river and the municipal dock and call us from there. 5306 6432 or 7742 8847