Originally built in 1853 by Benjamin Beery, the structure of The Verandas mansion suffered extensive fires and water damage in 1992.Boarded up and decaying, the mansion was purchased by current owner Chuck Pennington, with his late partner, in May 1995. The vision was to transform the abandoned and deteriorating historic property into a bed and breakfast inn that offered a gracious vision into the beauty of antebellum Wilmington North Carolina.After extensive demolition, including the removal of more than 80,000 pounds of plaster, 10,000 pounds of radiators, and more than 20 dump trucks of debris, the entire house was stripped down to the studs. A completely new infrastructure was then created for the house. This included new wiring, heating, air conditioning, plumbing, insulation, and walls.A sprinkler system and emergency lighting systems were added to ensure the ultimate safety of guests.After more than a year of complete renovation, the mansion was professionally decorated to provide a professional business atmosphere for the sophisticated executive as well as to provide a comfortable weekend retreat for tourists. English and American antiques as well as traditional furniture were selected to achieve this goal.The Verandas Bed and Breakfast Inn welcomes a continual influx of guest who want to experience true southern hospitality, but it is also a home. A fanatic collector of antiques, art, and period furnishings, innkeeper Chuck Pennington is constantly re-appointing the guest rooms. His home is also his passion, and he revels in sharing The Verandas with visitors from around the world.
Property Name: The Verandas
Address 1: 202 nun street
City : Wilmington - North Carolina
Postal Code : 28401
Contact Name: Jamie Alfalla
Phone: (910) 251-2212
- Photocopying services
This property has the following check-in and check-out times and policies:
Check-In: 4:00 PM
Check-Out: 11:00 AM
Late Check-out Hour: 1:00 PM
Late Check-out Fees: $60.00
Late check-out (after 11:00 AM and before 1:00 PM) may result in a fee.
Property and Cancellation Policies :
Terms and Conditions
Check In: Our Front Desk agent/manager will be available to help with checking in and getting to your room.
Cancellations: We charge the full amount of your reservation up front at the time of booking. If you cancel at least 3 days in advance, we will refund 50% of your deposit. Any cancellation without a 3 day notice will result in a forfeiture of the whole amount of the reservation.
Smoking: No Smoking inside of the building or on the grounds. Guests seen smoking on the grounds will be reminded the first time and asked to leave if it happens again. If there is evidence of smoking in the guest room you will be asked to leave and a cleaning and deodorizing fee of $500.00 is charged to the card on file.
Breakfast: Served from the kitchen between 9AM and 10AM with dining areas dispersed throughout the ground floor of the inn. Each room is stocked with coffee, filters, sweeteners and creamers along with coffee mugs and disposable cups and glasses.
- Check-in 4 PM ( We try our best to get you in earlier) | Check-out 11 AM, additional $60 for late check outs up to 1:00PM
- Minimum age to check-in is 21 years old.
- We are a completely non-smoking property
- Children – We accept well behaved young ladies and gentlemen over 13 years of age.
- Pets: We no longer accept pets (other than service animals in compliance with ADA Guidance from the Dept of Justice)
- Parking in our on-site parking lot is limited to 1 vehicle per guest room. We can not accommodate visitors of guests in our parking lot.
Rates (subject to change)
- High-Season Rates: from $179 to $299 (per night, up to double occupancy, and includes breakfast, on-site parking, and high-speed Internet, but not applicable taxes–13%).
- Off-Season Rates (excluding holidays, holiday eves, and special events): from $149 to $ 229 (per night, up to double occupancy, and includes breakfast, on-site parking, and high-speed Internet, but not applicable taxes–13%).
- North Carolina state sales tax = 7% and New Hanover County room tax = 6%.
- Weekend rates apply to most holidays, holiday eves, and special events.
- Additional room guests (including children) at $25.00 per night.
- Corporate rates (single occupancy, Sunday-Thursday) available.