The Green Tortoise Hostel in San Francisco is located in the legacy Neighborhood of North Beach and borders downtown and Chinatown neighborhoods. We offer a full-service kitchen, free high speed WiFi and plenty of space to plan your stay comfortably. Additionally, we offer a free breakfast to start your day's journey
Property Name: Green Tortoise Hostel San Francisco
Street Address: 494 Broadway
City : San Francisco - California
Postal Code : 94133
Phone: 1(415) 834-1000
- Baggage storage
- 24-hour front desk
- Billiards / pool table
- Non-smoking rooms
This property has the following check-in and check-out times and policies:
Check-In: 4:00 PM
Check-Out: 11:00 AM
Late Check-out Hour: 2:00 PM
Late Check-out Fees: $20.00
Late check-out (after 11:00 AM and before 2:00 PM) may result in a fee.
Property and Cancelation Policies :
- If you will be arriving after Midnight, you must inform us prior to your arrival. Your card will be authorized for the full price of the first night on the day of arrival. If your card does not go through for any reason, your bed will be resold
- To CANCEL or EXTEND please contact us directly by email or at 415-834-1000
- You may cancel your reservation without penalty by 4:00pm (PST) one day prior to your arrival
- If you cancel any later, or do not show up on the first night, we will charge your card for one night's stay on all beds reserved
- Please let us know as soon as you can if you'd like to stay longer, as we book up quickly.
Terms and Conditions
- We use Goki, a smart lock system, for most of our rooms at the Green Tortoise. https://gokitech.com/
- When you check in at the front desk you will have two options for a room key, you will be e-mailed an Entry Pin Code generated for your stay, and a link for the Goki app so you can use your phone as a bluetooth e-key.
- Bluetooth E-key Goki App
- download the "Goki" app and use your phone as a bluetooth e-key. Make sure the bluetooth setting on your phone is on.
- Companions to the main guest of the reservation will simply need the reservation number and the lead guest's last name for them to set up their bluetooth key.
- Entry Pin Code
- Once you are in front of your room's goki door handle, Press the touchpad anywhere to activate it, then enter the pin number emailed to you, followed by pressing the check button in the center of the number pad.
- Check in is officially at 4:00 pm, but if you arrive earlier feel free to stop by, store your bags (free of charge), use the facilities and grab some free breakfast (until 10am). For check in, we require valid government issued photo ID from outside of the Bay Area.
- You can pay the balance upon arrival with cash, Visa, or Mastercard*
- If you require a bottom bunk, please let us know prior to your arrival
- If you are staying in a dorm room, lockers are provided under the beds for you to safely store away your belongings. We do not supply the lock so you must bring your own or we sell them for $5 at the front desk.
- If you will be arriving after Midnight, you must inform us prior to your arrival. Your card will be authorized for the full price of the first night on the day of arrival. If your card does not go through for any reason, your bed will be resold.
- We are a comfortable backpackers hostel in North Beach with European style accommodations made up of shared and private rooms.
- We promote ourselves as a social hostel, so we welcome all guests to participate in our nightly events.
- All our bathrooms are shared along the corridors, but they are single occupancy (no en-suite bathrooms in the rooms of any of our buildings).
- Our reception is on the 2nd floor and there is no elevator, only stairs to all the rooms (rooms are on 3rd and 4th floors).
- Unlike traditional hotels, we do not provide sheet changes daily.
- There are several Adult Entertainment clubs on the next block and the area can be noisy on the weekends and in peak season.
- We have free breakfast every morning 7:30 - 10:00 am --- bagels, cream cheese, jams, fresh fruit, make your own eggs, organic oatmeal and yogurt, coffee or hot tea, and OJ.
- We offer many events such as pub crawls, $5 dinner nights, dinner crawls, and outings to popular SF events like the San Francisco Beer Olympics!
- We are a smoke and drug free building and we do not allow visitors.
- Please be aware that we do not allow food or drink in our rooms. We have an amazing common room that is open 24/7 for this purpose!
- Any and all personal bedding and camping equipment are not allowed in our rooms and will be collected at check in. You can gather your things again at check out.
- Our Green Tortoise Adventure Travel Company has several trips coming up over the next year. You can find the most up to date information regarding camping trips on our famous converted sleeper buses here
- Yosemite 2 day Adventure October 6th- 9th.
- California Sun 8 Day Adventure October 6th-13th. See Yosemite, Monterey, Santa Cruz, Channel islands, and Pinnacles, all in one go!
- You can take the subway (called BART, $9.65) Their last train leaves SFO at 11:45pm. The BART is also fairly easy - take any train except the Millbrae train and get off at the Montgomery St. station. From there, walk north on Montgomery St. to Broadway. Make a left on Broadway and you will find the hostel on the right hand side of the street, at the corner of Broadway and Kearny. The walk takes about 15 minutes.
- The Bus station is located in the Sales Force Tower at 425 Mission Street. If you prefer to take a taxi, the fare should be less than $10. Otherwise, you can walk (25 - 30 min.) - walk North 1st street to Market, cross Market and continue on Battery Street. Turn left on Broadway and walk about 4 blocks to Broadway and Kearny, we are on the right side. Or you can take the city MUNI bus #10 or #12 ($2.75) from the corner of 2nd St. and Stevenson St. It will drop you at Pacific St. and Kearny St. Walk 1 block up Kearny St. to 494 Broadway.
- We do not provide parking, but can offer you deals at nearby garages.
- We do not recommend having a car while you are in San Francisco. Parking is a hassle, and we have great public transportation.
- If you are going to have a car while you are here we recommend you pay to park at a garage. We have a deal with a parking garage a few blocks away- $25 overnight for standard sized cars, $35 and up for oversize vehicles. That is about half the price of all the other lots around us.
- You will need to collect a coupon from us first at the front desk to get this price. We have a loading zone, conveniently located right outside the hostel, where you can unload your car and come pick up the coupon.