Smack, bang in the middle of town, you won't find a better location than the Royal Mile; and we're right on Edinburgh's most famous, bustling street!
We're your home away from home and in our small and friendly hostel with an open plan kitchen and dining area, making new friends is easy. Chill and chat with staff and guests in our cosy lounge area with an open fire. Our dorms are all light and bright and we have clean mixed and female bathrooms.
The hostel also offers free WiFi, free tea, coffee and hot chocolate. Our friendly receptionists can offer you some great advice on what to see and do and where to eat and drink during your stay in Edinburgh. They can arrange for you to make the most of your time while you are in Scotland and book you on a MacBackpackers Tour to the Highlands. We aim to make your stay with us as pleasurable as possible so here is a wee list of what else we have to offer:
Clean bed linen
We accept cash and credit cards
Receptionist available to help you during opening hours (6.30am-3am)
Free tour booking service and advice
Minutes walk to the bus and train station
Kitchen/Dining area open 24 hours
Continental breakfast selection served 7am -11am for a small fee
Laundry service - we do it for you for just £4
Towel Hire - 50p
Secure lockers in rooms (£10 key deposit)
Free tea, coffee and hot chocolate
Free use of electrical adapters
Free daily walking tours
Free hairdryers and straighteners for use
Local food & drinks discounts
24 hour access
Free pub crawl every Thursday night (not in August)
Luggage storage for the length of your stay
Bicycle storage available across the road at High Street Hostel.
Go green and carbon neutral; Years ago we bought a 75+ hectare woodland in the Scottish Highlands that absorbs more than the total CO2 emissions from fuel used in our MacBackpackers hostels and bus company. We also try our best to re-cycle everything (with your help) and our electricity is all sourced from renewable, non-nuclear supplies. Stay with us for a great holiday and minimal environmental impact!
Guests also enjoy the benefit of access to the lively, bustling High Street Hostel across the road with its wide range of facilities.
Step outside and be at the centre of it all.
We don't accept group bookings. For bookings for more than 4 guests (incl in individual/separate bookings) you must contact the hostel directly before booking.
We cater for guests aged 18 and over. If guests are not yet 18 you must contact the hostel before booking for manager's approval. Sorry, we can't accept children!
Please bring a government issued photo ID for the check-in. We also require a key deposit: a £10 note or a government issued photo ID.
This property has a 2 day cancellation policy (different conditions apply for August and over Hogmanay/New Year's Eve). Please check our detailed cancellation policy!
If you do not show up on the date you booked for you will be charged according to our cancellation policy and your reservation will be cancelled unless you've notified us directly about your late arrival.
We have a maximum stay of 14 days..
Our hostel is accessible by stairs only.
Property Name: Royal Mile Backpackers
Address 1: 105 High St
City : Edinburgh
Postal Code : EH1 1SG
Phone : 0131 557 6120
- Laundry service
- Free WiFi
- Self-Catering Kitchen
- Bedside Sockets + USB
- Book Exchange
- Towels for Hire
- Free Hot Drinks
- Luggage Storage on Arrival and Departure Day
Check-In / Check-Out Policies
This property has the following check-in and check-out times and policies.
Check-In: 2:00 PM
Check-Out: 10:30 AM
Property and Cancellation Policies :
- We have a 48 hour cancellation policy. Cancellations must be made 48 hours before 10.30 am of the arrival date. Late cancellations and no shows will be charged the equivalent of the first two nights’ accommodation.
- If you do not show up on the date you booked for you will be charged according to our cancellation policy and your reservation will be cancelled unless you've notified us directly about your late arrival.
- AUGUST: For any bookings in August we will charge you the full amount 14 days before arrival. Should you book less than 14 days before arrival the whole amount will be charged within 24 hours after booking. Once this payment has been taken, no refunds will be given.
- If you do not show up on the date you booked for your reservation will be cancelled unless you've notified us directly about your late arrival.
Terms and Conditions
WE HAVE A MINIMUM AGE OF 18 YEARS. Sorry - no children!
FOR BOOKINGS FOR MORE THAN 4 PEOPLE YOU MUST CONTACT THE HOSTEL DIRECTLY BEFORE YOU MAKE A BOOKING. Be aware that if you book for more than 4 people without our manager's approval your reservation will be cancelled and you will lose your deposit. This includes guests making separate/individual reservations for 5 people or more.
ALL GUESTS MUST PROVIDE A GOVERNMENT ISSUED PHOTO ID AT CHECK-IN.
WE REQUIRE A £10 NOTE OR A GOVERNMENT ISSUED PHOTO ID AS A KEY DEPOSIT.
SPECIAL CANCELLATION POLICY FOR AUGUST/ HOGMANAY (NEW YEAR'S PERIOD):
- HOGMANAY (NEW YEAR'S EVE): For any bookings over Hogmanay (New Year's Eve) we will charge you the full amount on the 1st December. Should you book after the 1st December the whole amount will be charged within 24 hours after booking. Once this payment has been taken, no refunds will be issued.
- AUGUST: For any bookings for August we will charge you the full amount 14 days before arrival. Should you book less than 14 days before arrival the whole amount will be charged within 24 hours after booking. Once this payment has been taken, no refunds will be given.
If you do not show up on the date you booked for your reservation will be cancelled unless you've notified us directly about your late arrival.
CHECK-IN TIME IS 2PM.
WE DON'T OFFER LONGTERM STAY - please contact reception if you would lie to stay longer than 14 days.