Smack, bang in the middle of town, you won't find a better location than the Royal Mile; and we're right on Edinburgh's most famous, bustling street!
We're your home away from home and in our small and friendly hostel with an open plan kitchen and dining area, making new friends is easy. Chill and chat with staff and guests in our cosy lounge area with an open fire. Our dorms are all light and bright and we have clean mixed and female bathrooms.
The hostel also offers free WiFi, free tea, coffee and hot chocolate. Our friendly receptionists can offer you some great advice on what to see and do and where to eat and drink during your stay in Edinburgh. They can arrange for you to make the most of your time while you are in Scotland and book you on a MacBackpackers Tour to the Highlands. We aim to make your stay with us as pleasurable as possible so here is a wee list of what else we have to offer:
Clean bed linen
We accept cash and credit cards
Receptionist available to help you during reception hours (during Corona crisis 9am - 11am and 5pm - 7pm)
Free tour booking service and advice
Minutes walk to the bus and train station
Kitchen/Dining area (limited access during Corona crisis)
Towel Hire - 50p
Secure lockers in rooms (£10 key deposit)
Free tea, coffee and hot chocolate
Free use of electrical adapters
Free daily walking tours
Free hairdryers and straighteners for use
Local food & drinks discounts
24 hour access after check-in
Go green and carbon neutral; Years ago we bought a 75+ hectare woodland in the Scottish Highlands that absorbs more than the total CO2 emissions from fuel used in our MacBackpackers hostels and bus company. We also try our best to re-cycle everything (with your help) and our electricity is all sourced from renewable, non-nuclear supplies. Stay with us for a great holiday and minimal environmental impact!
Guests also enjoy the benefit of access to the lively, bustling High Street Hostel across the road with its wide range of facilities.
Step outside and be at the centre of it all.
We don't accept group bookings. For bookings for more than 6 guests (incl in individual/separate bookings) you must contact the hostel directly before booking.
We cater for guests aged 16 and over. If guests are not yet 16 you must contact the hostel before booking for manager's approval. Sorry, we can't accept children!
Please bring a government issued photo ID for the check-in. We also require a key deposit: a £10 note or a government issued photo ID.
This property has a 2 day cancellation policy (different conditions apply for August 2021 and over Hogmanay/New Year's Eve). Please check our detailed cancellation policy!
If you do not show up on the date you booked for you will be charged according to our cancellation policy and your reservation will be cancelled unless you've notified us directly about your late arrival.
We have a maximum stay of 14 days..
On Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays our on-site reception may be closed in the afternoons and evenings due to it being the low season. We offer a 24 hour reception at our sister hostel, High Street Hostel, which is located less than 1 minute away just across the road. You will receive an email with information on how to check-in if you are due to arrive on one of these days.
Staff will be on-site 24 hours a day, but regular reception services will only be available across the street. On the Weekends, our reception will be open as normal.
Property Name: Royal Mile Backpackers
Street Address: 105 High St
City : Edinburgh
Postal Code : EH1 1SG
Phone: 0131 557 6120
- Breakfast Buffet
- Breakfast, Continental
- CCTV in common areas
- CCTV outside property
- Safety deposit box
- Stand-up comedy
- Tour Assistance
This property has the following check-in and check-out times and policies:
Check-In: 3:00 PM
Check-Out: 10:30 AM
Property and Cancellation Policies :
- We have a 48 hour cancellation policy. Cancellations must be made 48 hours before 10.30 am of the arrival date. Late cancellations and no shows will be charged the equivalent of the first two nights’ accommodation.
- If you do not show up on the date you booked for you will be charged according to our cancellation policy and your reservation will be cancelled unless you've notified us directly about your late arrival.
- AUGUST 2021: For any bookings in August we will charge you the full amount 14 days before arrival. Should you book less than 14 days before arrival the whole amount will be charged within 24 hours after booking. Once this payment has been taken, no refunds will be given.
- If you do not show up on the date you booked for your reservation will be cancelled unless you've notified us directly about your late arrival.
Terms and Conditions
WE HAVE A MINIMUM AGE OF 18 YEARS. Sorry - no children!
FOR BOOKINGS FOR MORE THAN 6 PEOPLE YOU MUST CONTACT THE HOSTEL DIRECTLY BEFORE YOU MAKE A BOOKING. Be aware that if you book for more than 6 people without our manager's approval your reservation will be cancelled and you will lose your deposit. This includes guests making separate/individual reservations for 7 people or more.
ALL GUESTS MUST PROVIDE A GOVERNMENT ISSUED PHOTO ID AT CHECK-IN.
WE REQUIRE A £10 NOTE OR A GOVERNMENT ISSUED PHOTO ID AS A KEY DEPOSIT.
SPECIAL CANCELLATION POLICY FOR AUGUST 2021/ HOGMANAY (NEW YEAR'S PERIOD):
- HOGMANAY (NEW YEAR'S EVE): For any bookings over Hogmanay (New Year's Eve) we will charge you the full amount on the 1st December. Should you book after the 1st December the whole amount will be charged within 24 hours after booking. Once this payment has been taken, no refunds will be issued.
- AUGUST 2021: For any bookings for August we will charge you the full amount 14 days before arrival. Should you book less than 14 days before arrival the whole amount will be charged within 24 hours after booking. Once this payment has been taken, no refunds will be given.
If you do not show up on the date you booked for your reservation will be cancelled unless you've notified us directly about your late arrival.
CHECK-IN TIME IS 5PM.
WE DON'T OFFER LONGTERM STAY - please contact reception if you would like to stay longer than 14 days.