If a desired room does not show up after selecting the requested dates on the calendar, this may mean that the room is unavailable. Please contact us if there is a questions about availability.
If you want to be transported back in time and are looking for authentic taste of Old New England, the Daniels House is the perfect place to stay. Built in 1667 by a sea captain, it is a charming relic from colonial times that enjoys the distinction of being the oldest bed-and-breakfast in Salem. Featuring open hearth fireplaces, exposed beams and paneled walls, this First Period property predates the infamous witch trials and is characterized by its “rustic feel and Pioneer atmosphere” (Baedeker Travel Guide USA, 2013). Lovingly restored by its new owners, the house reopened for business in 2019 and offers guests unique and elegant accommodations in the perfect location to explore Witch City and the beautiful North Shore.
Property Name: The Daniels House Bed and Breakfast
Address 1: 1 Daniels St
City : Salem - Massachusetts
Postal Code : 01970
Contact Name: Patrick
- Baggage storage
Check-In / Check-Out Policies
This property has the following check-in and check-out times and policies.
Check-In: 4:00 PM
Check-Out: 11:00 AM
Property and Cancellation Policies :
We are a small, family-run business so cancelations affect us significantly. Our policies ensure minimal loss and disruptions in maintaining our home and continuing to share this piece for American history. Thank you for your understanding.
- To complete a reservation, there is a deposit required. This is equivalent to one night’s stay. This deposit is non-refundable. Any balance due must be paid upon arrival.
- If canceling 14 days prior to check in, apart from the non-refundable deposit, there are no additional charges, except during the Halloween season (see below)
- From 14 days to arrival, in addition to the non-refundable deposit, cancellations will be billed at 25% of the remaining balance, except during the Halloween season (see below)
- During the busy Halloween season (Sept. 15 – Nov 5), we require a minimum of two nights’ stay. In the case of cancellation during this period, guests can cancel a reservation up until 30 days prior to arrival and, apart from the non-refundable deposit, no additional charges will be incurred.
- From 30 days to arrival during the Halloween season, in addition to the non-refundable deposit, cancellations will be billed at 50% of the remaining balance due.
- Guests will not be refunded in the case of early departures.
- “No shows” will be liable to pay the full reservation amount. If guests fail to check in on the date of arrival they are considered a “no show” and room availability is not guaranteed for late shows.
Terms and Conditions
Prices and Taxes-
- Pricing may vary depending on availability and seasonal rates.
- Guests are exempt from paying the 11.7% MA/Salem room tax if booked directly through the Daniels House. This may not apply to some online booking platforms.
- Promotions only apply to a standard rate and cannot be used in conjunction with any other discounted rate or promotion.
- We accept all major credit cards.
- Cheques are not accepted.
- Check in is from 4pm-8pm.
- Check out is at 11am.
- Must be 21 years of age for check in - ID cards, passports or temporary residence cards must be presented upon check-in. By law, visitors must present these documents.
- We may be able to accommodate special requests for check-in and check-out times. Please contact the Daniels House directly to make arrangements.
- The Daniels House has a no smoking policy, however we do have a garden which guests are free to use as a smoking area.
- No pets allowed
- No weapons allowed
- No items of a combustible or hazardous nature are allowed
- Do not light fireplaces without the owners’ permission and supervision.
- Do not leave burning candles unattended
- Guest are expected to abide by and conform to all acts, laws and government rules and regulations.
- Disruptive, discriminatory, and anti-social behavior is prohibited. Should any guest’s behavior be deemed inappropriate, the Daniels House can terminate a booking or function without being liable for any refund or compensation.
- Loud noises are prohibited between 11pm and 7am. Please refer to the City of Salem’s Code of Ordinances for more details.
- Help us be “green” and reduce resource consumption by switching off unused lights, turning off A/C when vacant from room, and not letting water run unnecessarily etc.
- There are many non-replaceable antiques, curiosities, and works of art inside the Daniels House. Guests (and their invitees) are liable for any damages to the room, any furnishings, fittings and equipment. Should any missing or damaged items come to light post checkout, the Daniels House reserves the right to charge the guest credit card on file.
- The Daniels House is not liable for any loss, theft or damage to guests’ baggage, personal effects and money.
- Please note that the Daniels House is an old property so there are narrow staircases, uneven floors and transitions, fragile antiques and many little items that can be broken and we ask that you please do not touch.
- Please also note that ceilings are low on the third floor so rooms on this level - The Marion Room and East India Room - may not be be suitable for guests over 6ft tall.
- All guest rooms are located on the 2nd and 3rd floors. Please be advised that guests will need to be able to walk up stairs. The Daniels House is a very old property so there is no elevator and, unfortunately, we do not have handicap accessibility.
- In the event that the Daniels House needs to cancel a booking and/or is no longer able to provide accommodation due to 1) fire, storm, flood, civil commotion or other emergency, or 2) loss of gas, electricity or water supply, we will refund in full any payments already made.
- We offer free parking to our guests, but this is limited to one vehicle per reservation. There is onsite driveway parking and also on-street parking permits available.
- If a parking permit is issued or requested you will be given a list of local city parking zones and city rules. Fines will be issued by the city and directly to the vehicle registration if city parking rules are not followed.
- The Daniels House will not be responsible for any parking fines incurred during the misuse of a parking permit.
- Children (under 12) are welcome and we can supply a pack n’ play bassinet for babies.
- For safety reasons, please be advised that you must watch your children at all times, and children cannot be left alone on the property.
Breakfast and dining
- Breakfast is available between 8 and 10am.
- Please inform us in advance of any allergies and/or dietary restrictions.