Please feel free to call us directly with any questions 978-594-8757
Daniels House Guests are exempt from paying the 11.7% room tax when reservations are booked directly through The Daniels House website or by calling the reservation line 978-594-8757.
Silsbee's Guests will be required to pay the 11.7% room tax.
Guest room fireplaces may not be lit and are decorative only.
The Marion Room and The East India Room share a bathroom that is located in the hall between the two rooms.
The Marion Room ceilings are lower ( 6ft) due to the architecture of the mid 1700's and guests who are over 5' 9" may find it a little cramped. Although, some may find this charming and an authentic experience, if you believe this would be uncomfortable for you it may be a better choice to reserve any of the other rooms. This also goes for the third floor bathroom which is shared by the Marion Room and East India Room.
If a desired room does not show up after selecting the requested dates on the calendar, this may mean that the room is unavailable. Please contact us if there is a questions about availability.
If you want to be transported back in time and are looking for authentic taste of Old New England, the Daniels House is the perfect place to stay. Built in 1667 by a sea captain, it is a charming relic from colonial times that enjoys the distinction of being the oldest bed-and-breakfast in Salem. Featuring open hearth fireplaces, exposed beams and paneled walls, this First Period property predates the infamous witch trials and is characterized by its “rustic feel and Pioneer atmosphere” (Baedeker Travel Guide USA, 2013). Lovingly restored by its new owners, the house reopened for business in 2019 and offers guests unique and elegant accommodations in the perfect location to explore Witch City and the beautiful North Shore.
Property Name: Daniels House Inn
Street Address: 1 Daniels St
City : Salem - Massachusetts
Postal Code : 01970
Contact Name: Patrick
- Baggage storage
- Gift shop
- 24-hour check-in
- Air conditioning
- BBQ facilities
- Bottled water
- Breakfast, Continental
- Breakfast, free
- Common areas disinfected daily
- Contactless check-in / check-out
- Designated smoking area
- Fire extinguishers
- Guest accommodations disinfected between stays
- Hand sanitizer provided
- Non-smoking rooms
- Outdoor furniture
- Smoke alarms
- Ticketing service
- Tour Assistance
- Towels changed upon request
- Walking Tours
This property has the following check-in and check-out times and policies:
Check-In: 4:00 PM
Check-Out: 11:00 AM
Property and Cancelation Policies :
We are a small, family-run business so cancellations affect us significantly. Our policies ensure minimal loss and disruptions in maintenance and operations so that we can continue to share these historic homes with our guests.Thank you for your understanding.
The Cancellation policies below will only apply to reservations made directly through the Daniel House website or by calling the reservation line. Any reservations made through a 3rd party such as (but not limited to) Booking.com, Expedia, Airbnb, etc. are subject to the policy agreed on at the time of making the reservation through the 3rd party platform. The house rules and general policies will apply to all guests that stay at the Daniels House properties.
- To complete a reservation, there is a deposit required. This is equivalent to one night’s stay. This deposit is non-refundable. We will charge the credit card on file for the remaining balance of the reservation seven days before the check-in date. The full balance must be paid at this time and reservations that have an outstanding balance may be canceled with full penalties. We will reach out to guests if there are any issues with payment.
- If canceling 14 days prior to check-in, apart from the non-refundable deposit, there are no additional charges, except during the Halloween season (see below).
- From 14 days to 7 days prior to check-in, in addition to the non-refundable deposit, cancellations will be billed at 25% of the remaining balance, except during the Halloween season (see below).
- From 7 days prior to check-in to the day of check-in, the full amount will be due as the cancellation fee.
- During the busy Halloween season (Sept. 1 – Nov 30), we require a minimum of two nights’ stay. In the case of a cancellation during this period, guests can cancel a reservation up until 30 days prior to arrival and, apart from the non-refundable deposit, no additional charges will be incurred.
- From 30 days to 7 days prior to check-in during the Halloween season, in addition to the non-refundable deposit, cancellations will be billed at 50% of the remaining balance due. From 7 days prior to check-in to the arrival date the full amount will be due as a cancellation fee.
- Guests will not be refunded in the case of early departures.
- “No shows” will be liable to pay the full reservation amount. If guests fail to check-in on the date of arrival they are considered a “no show” and room availability is not guaranteed for late shows. Please make sure to contact us if your travel plans have changed or you will need a later than expected check-in time.
- In the case that the reservation was made through a third-party booking agency such as, but not limited to, Expedia, Booking.com, Airbnb, etc. The cancellation policies agreed to upon making the reservation will apply.
- In the case that a reservation is to be rescheduled, a processing fee of $75 will be applied. A reschedule request must be completed at least 14 days prior to the check-in date. If a request is made within 14 days of the check-in date the fee will be half of the remaining balance. The deposit paid at the time of making the original reservation will be applied to the new reservation. The new reservation must be paid in full at the time of the change and is non-refundable.
Terms and Conditions
Prices and Taxes
- Pricing will vary depending on availability and seasonal rates.
- Guests are exempt from paying the 11.7% City/State excise room tax when staying at the Daniels House -1 Daniels St, Salem, MA 01970. These taxes of 11.7% will be applied if your room reservation is for the Silsbee’s by Daniels House - 53 Essex St, Salem, MA 01970.
- Promotions only apply to a standard rate and cannot be used in conjunction with any other discounted rate or promotion.
- Promotions can not be added to a pre-existing reservations and will only apply to new reservations made between the dates issued in that promotion.
- We accept all major credit cards.
- Cheques are not accepted.
- We use a secure automated system to collect information necessary for each reservation. A link and confirmation will be sent to you upon confirming a new reservation. To complete the pre-check-in process you will be asked a number of questions that will help us with accommodating you during your stay such as assigning parking, arranging check-in and check-out times, creating a unique door code, etc.
- You will also need to supply a copy of each guests’ photo ID, your place of employment, vehicle registration number and make/model of vehicle, emergency contact and mailing address. Once registration is completed you will have access to our guest portal until after your check-out date. In this portal you will find discounted local attraction tickets, house rules, instructions for your assigned parking space, self check-in/check-out, a method of direct communication to our staff and many useful facts you may need during your stay.
- Check-in is after 4pm.
- Check-out is at 11am.
- ID cards, passports or temporary residence cards must be presented before check-in. By law, visitors must present these documents.
- We may be able to accommodate special requests for early check-in and late check-out times. Additional charges will apply. These requests can be made through our guest portal.
- Baggage storage is available on the day of check-in and check-out for guests but please be advised that there may be a fee.
- The Daniels House has a no smoking policy which includes vaping and e-cigarettes, however we do have a back garden which guests are free to use as a smoking area. $500 fee for smoking inside either property.
- No pets allowed.
- No weapons allowed.
- No items of a combustible or hazardous nature are allowed.
- Fireplaces in the guest rooms are decorative only and can not be lit.
- Do not light candles or have any open flames.
- Guests are expected to abide by and conform to all acts, laws and government rules and regulations.
- Disruptive, discriminatory, and antisocial behavior is prohibited. Should any guest’s behavior be deemed inappropriate, the Daniels House can terminate a booking or function without being liable for any refund or compensation.
- Loud noises are prohibited between 11pm and 7am as per the City Of Salem's noise ordinance sec 22-1. Please refer to the City of Salem’s Code of Ordinances for more details.
- Help us be “green” and reduce resource consumption by switching off unused lights, turning off A/C when vacant from room, and not letting water run unnecessarily etc.
- There are many non-replaceable antiques, curiosities, and works of art inside the Daniels House and Silsbee’s. Guests (and their invitees) are liable for any damages to the rooms/property, any furnishings, fittings and equipment. Should any missing or damaged items come to light post-checkout, the Daniels House reserves the right to charge the guest credit card on file.
- Do not use hair dyes or anything that will stain the linens. A replacement fee will be charged to the credit card on file if we are unable to remove the stains and in the case that the items must be replaced. In addition, any fees associated with dry cleaning to remove these stains may also be charged at the guest’s expense.
- The Daniels House is not liable for any loss, theft or damage to guests’ baggage, personal effects and money.
- Please note that the Daniels House and Silsbee’s are old properties so there are narrow staircases, uneven floors and transitions, fragile antiques and many little items that can be broken. We ask that you please watch your step, your head and do not touch.
- Ceilings are low on the third floor of the Daniels House so some rooms on this level - The Marion Room and East India Room - may not be suitable for guests over 5’-9” tall. Although the East India Room ceiling height is 6’-6”, the bathroom that guests will use for The East India Room has a lower ceiling height of 6ft. This is due to the architecture of the mid 1700’s when this level was built. In most cases people find this an authentic experience but if you feel this would be a nuisance or a hazard, please do not book these rooms. We suggest you call us if you have any questions.
- No ghost hunting or paranormal investigating is allowed in or on the properties.
- All guest rooms are located on the 2nd and 3rd floors in the Daniels House. Please be advised that guests will need to be able to walk up stairs. The Daniels House and Silbees are old properties so there is no elevator and, unfortunately, we do not have handicap accessibility. The Silsbee Suite located at Silsbee’s is the only room located on the 1st floor and has three steps to get into the unit.
- In the case that you are staying in the Silsbee Suite, with a full kitchen, please be advised that you will be responsible for leaving the kitchen as you found it. If you decide to use the kitchenware, pots/ pans , dishes, glasses, etc. please make sure to clean and put everything back in its place. It is Ok to put dishes in the dishwasher and run a cycle before checking out and our cleaning service will put the dishes away but If you leave the kitchen and its kitchenware to be cleaned by the Daniels House housekeeping, there will be an additional charge.
- Guests can not have more than the allowed number of guests specified in the listing per room unless in the case of a child who will be staying with adults. We must approve any additional guests over the listed guest count and must be notified in advance of the confirmed number of guests. Information such as name, phone, address may be requested for each guest.
- We offer free parking to our guests, but this is limited to one vehicle per reservation. There is onsite driveway parking and also on-street parking permits available.
- If a parking permit is issued or requested you will be given a list of local city parking zones and city rules. Fines will be issued by the City and directly to the vehicle registration if City parking rules are not followed.
- The Daniels House will not be responsible for any parking fines incurred during the misuse of a parking permit.
- Parking permits must be returned back to us upon checking-out and are issued directly from the City of Salem to the Daniels House. If for some reason you lose this permit or do not return it to us there will be a fee of $500.
- Children (under 12) are welcome and we can supply a pack n’ play bassinet for babies.
- For safety reasons, please be advised that you must watch your children at all times, and children cannot be left alone on the property.
- You must be 21 yrs of age to make a reservation and at least one of the persons occupying the room will need to be at least 21 years old.
- Continental breakfast is available between 7:30am - 10:00am for all guests staying at both the Daniels House and Silsbee’s.
- Breakfast will be served in the Daniels House dining room (first floor) at 1 Daniels St, Salem, MA 01970.
- Guests staying at Silsbee’s will have access to this breakfast and can use the front door of the property located just around the corner on Daniels St.
- ** Please inform us in advance of any allergies and/or dietary restrictions**
All policies and rules are being agreed to upon making this reservation.