The Medano-Zapata Ranch is owned by The Nature Conservancy and managed by Ranchlands in a partnership model that emphasizes environmental conservation practices. Located on the eastern edge of the San Luis Valley of southern Colorado, the ranch borders the Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve, the newest national park in the United States. Home to a conservation herd of bison that run in a single 50,000 acre pasture, the ranch also runs a herd of Angus mother cows.
Additionally, the ranch has a 17-bedroom Lodge that welcomes guests from around the world who are interested in exploring the ranch’s scenic and ecologically diverse meadows, wetlands, sand dunes, and cottonwood groves and learning about ranching’s role in preserving and protecting these natural landscapes.
Property Name: Zapata Ranch
Address 1: 5305 STATE HIGHWAY 150
City : MOSCA - Colorado
Postal Code : 81146
Contact Name: Alden Freed
Phone: 719 257 3043
- Gift shop
This property has the following check-in and check-out times and policies:
Check-In: 2:00 PM
Check-Out: 10:00 AM
Property and Cancellation Policies :
Terms and Conditions
- All tips are optional but greatly appreciated and will be pooled to be shared across our team.
- We do not provide alcohol, please feel free to bring your own. The nearest liquor store is 30 minutes away so we encourage you to make a stop prior to arriving at the ranch.
- A member of our staff makes a trip to town twice a week. Should you need something during your stay, we will be happy to retrieve it for you on this bi-weekly trip.
- Check in is from 2pm - 5pm, check out is at 10am. Do let us know if you will be arriving after 5pm as we will arrange for you to check in with our dining staff.
- We cannot accommodate pets.
- Ranch Vacation guests may bring and board their horses at the ranch for $25/night. We provide an outdoor stall with dirt floor and water. We require proof of Coggins/health certificate, guests supply their own feed, must trailer their horse to the day's riding locations, and must be accompanied by staff member on all rides.
- Access to the corrals or other areas on the ranch is limited to guests on a guided tour.
- Children of Ranch Vacation guests must be at least eight years of age to partake in rides on the ranch. We offer pony rides to Ranch Vacation guests at the corrals for children under the age of eight. All minors (under the age of 18) must be accompanied by a parent or guardian for all activities.
- We cannot accommodate riders heavier than 230 lbs.