Thunder Bay Ontario's first downtown hostel is here, and bigger, better, and safer than ever! We are a stone’s throw from the waterfront of Lake Superior and even closer to the unique art, entertainment and culinary infusion that is downtown Port Arthur. Our main mission is to have our guests having the best local experience possible, take a look around and we will be sure to set you on the right adventure.
- Baggage storage
- Concierge desk
- Laundry service
Check-In / Check-Out Policies
This property has the following check-in and check-out times and policies.
Late Check-Out Hour:
Late Check-out Fees: $ 25.00
Late check out (after 11:00 AM and before 2:00 PM) may result in a fee.
Property and Cancellation Policies :
No Cancellation fee in effect up to 24 hours prior to booking for groups less than 10. The first
night of the reservation will be charged to the credit card on within 24 hours prior to your arrival. If the credit card is invalid the booking will be cancelled.
In case of a no-show booking, the full room rate will remain charged to the credit card on file for the first night and cancelled for all consecutive nights.
For groups of 10 or more or a single booking for more than 15 days, a 15% deposit is required at time of booking. Cancellations must be made 14 days in advance. 100% of all anticipated revenue will be forfeited should a cancellation happen within the 14 days of your booking date.
GROUP LODGING - ENTIRE BUILDING (26 person Occupancy): A 15% non-refundable deposit is due at time of booking. 50% of the remaining balance is due within 30 days and the remaining balance is due on arrival. No Cancellation fee in effect up to 60 days prior to your arrival aside from deposit. 50%of anticipated revenue will be forfeit within 30-60 days, 75% within 14-30 days and 100% of all anticipated revenue will be forfeited should a cancellation happen within 14 days. Should any one day be cancelled within the reservation the above cancellation will apply for that specific day.
In case of a no-show booking, the full room rate will be charged for the first night.
Terms and Conditions
We are adapting in a positive and safe way to ensure all of our guests have the most comfortable stay with us.
You will be required to self-screen for COVID 19 upon arrival to the hostel. Self-screening documents, issued by the Thunder Bay Health Unit, will be on the reception deck for you to read on arrival.You can visit www.tbdhu.com/coronavirus for more information. If you fail the self-screening, you will need to find other accommodations. You are required to wear your masks inside the hostel. If you are not following our COVID-19 protocols, you will need to find alternative accommodations.
We only accept valid credit cards at time of booking and require full payment for the first night within 24 hours of your booking, or on same day of booking if you are arriving the same night. Your card, whether credit card or debit Visa will be charged virtually through our secure online booking system in order for us to be totally contactless. Cash may be accepted as a deposit of $250.00 when reception is in or with a temporary hold on the credit card that is used to make the reservation with for security purposes. No exceptions.
Our reception hours will now be reduced. We will supply you with all the information needed to arrive in a safe and comfortable manner prior to your arrival. Staff can be reached via our outdoor intercom during office hours and we will be happy to assist you. No bookings will be made after designated hours.
- The hostel is completely smoke free, this includes vaping. A $250 fee will be charged to the room should our no smoking policy be disregarded. There is also to be no burning of incense, candles, or any item that requires an open flame, outside of the kitchen area.
- We are currently not allowing any outside visitors of our guests into our building for your own safety, and for ours. We have a wonderful courtyard with firepit should you want to have a visitor stop in and have a seat socially distanced.
- Our doors are key coded and automatically lock, we suggest ensuring the door is completely latched when going out/going to bed. For the convenience of the Guests, lockers are provided in the dormitory rooms. The Management will not in any way whatsoever be responsible for any loss or damage to the Guest's belongings or any other property from either the Hostel room or the locker or any other part of the Hostel for any cause whatsoever including theft or pilferage. We can supply you with a lock for a refundable deposit of $5.00.
- All guests must abide by kitchen and lounge rules. Quiet hours are strictly 10 PM. We kindly ask that any conversation after 10 PM be held outside or within your shared accommodation. The kitchen has specific hours to allow for sufficient cleaning time - please follow kitchen hours that are posted within the kitchen or simply ask staff for assistance.
We allow dogs and cats in our facility, in our Main Floor Suite only, for your convenience! Animal fees are $15.00 per night, per animal, to allow for extra cleaning time. We have a two dog/animal limit within our establishment for the comfort of our guests. Any damage done to the room will be assessed and charged accordingly to the guest. Animals are NOT allowed on the bed. If evidence of the animal is found on the bed or any damage is done to the bed or sheets, a fee will be charged. A Pet Waiver and Policy must be signed upon arrival to the hostel, along with our terms and conditions. Dogs are not to be left unattended without being in a crate. Animals should remain on leash at all times within the establishment. Please contact us for more information. Extra cleaning fees will be charged if animals have left a mess not tended to by owners.
The comfort, safety and security of our guests is of paramount importance to us at this hostel. Any guest(s) who, in the opinion of staff, compromise the comfort, safety or security of other guests, staff or local residents will be requested to leave the hostel premises and will not be given a refund. Guests are expected to respect other guests as well as staff, local residents and property.
We have the right to refuse or deny accommodations to anyone:
1. unwilling or unable to pay for a room or other lodging establishment privileges
2. visibly under the influence of drugs or alcohol or creating a public nuisance
3. the innkeeper reasonably believes will use a room or the facility for an unlawful purpose
4. the innkeeper reasonably believes is bringing in something that creates an unreasonable danger or risk to others, or
5. whose use of a room or accommodation would violate the facility's maximum capacity.6. Who is deemed disruptive to any guests at anytime. Strict quiet time is in effect at 10 PM.
Except in relation to death or personal injury caused by our negligence, The Haven Hostel's liability remains at all times, limited to the value of the services booked, excluding any amendment charges paid to us.
Guests will be expected to reimburse The Haven Hostel any damage caused by inappropriate behaviour during their stay, which will be detailed to them in a follow up phone-call and/or email if guest has left before room check.
1. Towels are included in all of our private rooms. They are not included in our dormitory's. Towels are available for $1 at reception.
2. Socks, Slippers, or Sandals are recommended (Or be barefoot as we like to be), our hostel has a no shoe policy. You can leave your shoes on the front shoe rack or keep them with you in your room/locker.
3. Locks - Locks will be available at reception as stated above.
5. Food for your own lunch and dinners, kitchen hours will now be limited for cleaning.